Sunday, April 13, 2014

Vitek's BBQ

          Ballgames are pretty fun. In fact, I went to my first one last night, where I cheered for the Baylor Bear! Before that, however, my friends and I went to a little place called Vitek’s BBQ. It is a local Waco favorite when it comes to BBQ and is a staple part of just about every Baylor student’s diet.
          Vitek’s started out as a grocery and meat market in 1915 and has steadily grown into a respectable restaurant joint. There most notable menu item is the Gut Pak, which I ordered for this meal. The interior has a nice upscale, western bar feel to it and is relatively clean. There is a lot of wood furniture everywhere and both indoor and outdoor seating. Additionally, Vitek’s caters to anyone who wants them; typically Baylor has them cater a lot of events.
          After walking in to Vitek’s for the second time ever, I decided to try the all-so-famous Gut Pak. It consists of Frito’s corn chips, sausage, brisket, pickles, jalapenos, onions, beans and cheese. It was also recently named the “Best College Eats” and was featured on ESPN. After you order you move down a line along the counter to pay for and pick up your food. I ordered a large Gut Pak and a small drink and together it seemed relatively expensive. However, after I looked at the food, I could see why it was priced so high. There was just a lot of food everywhere.
          As I sat down with my friends I tasted the Gut Pak for the first time. The pickles were sweet, sour and weird. The jalapenos were sweet as well, but not spicy enough. I did not like either of those things. However, the BBQ was pretty amazing. The brisket was deliciously sweet and tangy and the jalapeno sausage was perfectly cooked. Onions and Fritos tend to have a standard taste. The cheese was melted and delicious. Additionally, the Gut Pak came with two pieces of sliced bread!

          Overall, I really loved the atmosphere inside Vitek’s. The food was pretty decent, a little salty in my opinion, but worth trying. Almost all of my friends are in love with the Gut Pak, but if you don’t like it, there are plenty of other options to choose from. I would definitely go back to try a different menu item. This local Waco restaurant is a must try for all visitors!

No comments:

Post a Comment