Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bangkok Royal

          It’s the last Saturday before spring break 2014 will be over and I feel a little down. I didn't do as much homework as I would have liked to get done and it’s time to cram. Before I start though, some of my friends decide to take me out to lunch. We decide to go to Bangkok Royal, a local Waco restaurant that boasts “authentic Thai cuisine”. It’s located off of University Parks Dr. near Wild West.
          The interior is pretty classy. There are pictures of Thailand all along the walls and weirdly enough, a portrait of horses located at the back of the restaurant. There are also Asian statues and other pieces located all around. I’m also surprised by how busy the store is because it is still Spring Break and not a lot of college students are back yet.
          After being seated at a nice table, I order a Gouza, Pad Thai and Thai iced tea. As my friends chat we notice that not a lot of time has passed before our appetizers had come out. However, they had forgotten to give us utensils and we have to ask for them.
          First off, I start with my friend’s order of fried spring rolls. To my dismay, they are not as good as I would have liked. The appearance is quite appealing, but the spring rolls themselves are too bland. They have a nice crispy texture and are not that greasy, but the flavor is so lacking, it’s hard to enjoy it. Additionally, their side sauce isn't as good as my mom makes. It’s a sweet and sour sauce, but it’s lacking the sweetness and kick that my mom’s sauce has.

          I decide to move on to my Gouza. Now the Gouza is delicious. It’s soft on the inside and slightly crispy at the top. Additionally, the ingredients are finely blended and it is very moist. Their side sauce was also delicious as it made the Gouza slightly sweeter and a little saltier. These are now my favorite Gouzas in Waco, Texas.

          This far into the meal, I am feeling a little parched and try the Thai iced tea. I am a huge fanatic of Thai iced tea or anything boba, a classic Asian drink usually with tapioca, related, but I am sorry to say that this Thai iced tea does not pass my test. It is way too sweet for my liking and I love sweet things. Additionally, the tea is not milky enough and is relatively small for the price. I just can’t give is a passing grade.
          However, true to their name, their pad Thai was delicious. It was sweet and I love eggs and tofu. In addition, their beef was only slightly tough, which made it a lot easier to enjoy the flavor of the beef. It also added a nice contrast to the softness and smooth texture of the rest of the dish.

          Overall, I definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves Asian food. Their entrees seem to be pretty good and their Gouzas are amazing. Although they are lacking in the drink department, water is pretty good with any meal. The dim lighting and classy atmosphere adds a nice private feel and is great for almost any date.

No comments:

Post a Comment