Sunday, March 30, 2014

Shory's Pizza Shack

          On this beautiful Sunday afternoon, my friend Katy and I were feeling in the mood for some pizza. Unfortunately, a lot of restaurants in Waco are closed on Sundays. Lucky for us, Shorty’s Pizza Shack isn’t part of that mix!
          Shorty’s has a nice refreshing atmosphere that feels like you’re at an actual beach-side shack. They host both indoor and outdoor seating. There are not as many parking spots as there is room in the pizza joint and unfortunately, it is always pretty packed. However, Katy and I luckily got great parking because it was 1 o’clock in the afternoon. We also sat outside because the weather outside was amazing. It was sunny and warm with a nice cool breeze in the air.
          Katy and I both ordered their lunch special of two pizza slices and a drink for $5.50. It was a great deal and is available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. For some reason though, it took a while for the food to come out. In addition, the Coca-Cola that I ordered was a little flat. After some small talk with Katy the food finally came out.
          Now I have heard great things about Shorty’s pizza and I was expecting amazing pizza. Sadly that is not what I go. I had ordered a slice of Canadian bacon with mushrooms and green olives and also a slice of Italian sausage and jalapeno. I had the Italian sausage slice first and it had a nice crisp to it and it wasn’t especially greasy. However, that is where the pros stop. It wasn’t as spicy as I would have liked and it was pretty bland. There just wasn’t a lot of flavor to it.
          After finishing that slice I moved to the Canadian bacon slice and was disappointed once again. The mushrooms were alright, but it just didn’t make up for the lack of flavor. The green olives added a nice salty tinge, but the Canadian bacon was a letdown.

          Now I understand that people have different tastes and maybe everyone else likes pizza that is lacking in flavor, but for me, Shorty’s Pizza Shack was not on top of things. Maybe they just had a bad day, but, solely based on this lunch, I cannot give them a passing rating. However, everyone should be judge for themselves. It did have a nice atmosphere and was relatively cheap. I would probably go back again, but I would order something different like a pizza pie or something. I prefer Papa Rollo’s salty pizza any day though. Maybe next time Shorty’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment